How to fix a blind that does not lower properly
It's a quiet day, so we wake up and to enjoy the sun or the weather we decide it's time to pull down our blind, but... oops! It doesn't come down properly.
This conflict is more normal than it seems, and especially occurs with these elements that are frequent in our home, but of which we have no knowledge of how to solve it. Thinking of you, we have written this article with first-class information that can guide you to fix a roller shutter that does not lower properly and much more.
Parts of the roller shutter
- Blind brackets or bearings: These parts are important for the operation of the movement mechanisms that make the shutter go up or down; they are also guards to ensure the safety of the shutter. durability of these.
- Strapping: Many times, looking for an easy way to make your roller shutter work, this part is replaced by cords or ropes in bad condition.
- The dustpan: through this element the belt is stored and wound to fulfil the function of the lifting and lowering mechanisms.
- The tape: This part of the shutter is probably one of the most problematic. The reason for its existence is to make the slats rotate to open or close the structure.
- The bodkin: its usefulness is to give movement to the tape to move in order to achieve the rotation of the slats in the roller shutter.
- The slats: are elongated structures which work to protect the shutter and achieve its function of regulating the entrance of sound or light through the movement applied to it.
- The buffersare small elements that are located at the end of the shutter and that its function is to raise it to prevent it from hiding inside, in other words, to prevent it from rising or falling too high or too low.
- The drawer: is the space where all the slats that make up the thin plate structure are stored, as well as all the other parts that are part of the mechanism. They are important for maintaining isolation because that is where the reinforced insulation of certain types of roller shutters.
- The axisis a cylindrical tube which is made of metal and which, depending on the size of the window, can vary in thickness and length, is one of the key parts that make the blind useful.
- The pulley: when the blind is on the lower level, it uses the pulley as a centre of support while it is down. Its location is at one end of the shaft.
- The capsule: is a small element located at the opposite position of the shaft, where one of the bearings will be stored.
Steps to fix a blocked shutter
Before we consider the option of fixing a window, we must first think about the possible reason why it does not work properly. Some of the assumptions are:
- The shutter stops are deteriorated.
- One or more slats have moved out of place or are broken.
- The tape is broken or has been incorrectly positioned.
- The strapping is worn.
If any of these occur, just follow the steps below:
- We started to dismantle: is a very important process, regardless of the changes you make to the roller shutter, as this step will be used to make the final diagnosis and we rule out any of the above reasons
- We gather the necessary materials to solve the circumstanceIf you wish, you can also carry out maintenance on the shutter by replacing the old parts with newly purchased ones, so that you can avoid worse damage and higher costs.
- The slat is broken: measure the slats and make sure you buy one of the same size, shape and material.
- Your roller shutter is electric and it got stuck: Shutting down the engine is the first thing you should do to fix the problem. Check the tension of the bolts and achieve the balance it needs to stabilise.
- If, despite this, no solution is found, you can contact the company from which you purchased the roller shutter.
- The engine broke down: he quickest way out of this conflict is to reprogram the control that makes the motor perform its functions, so that the system can be reset so that the shutter can be stopped properly.